Friday, February 17, 2012

Reflection

While completing this course, it has been interesting having the opportunity to review learning theories while also becoming more familiar with the role of technology in those learning theories.  It has also had an impact on my own theory of learning.  At the beginning of the course, I stated that constructivism was a very large part of my classroom.  While this is still true, I believe that many learning theories are in practice within my classroom.  Classrooms are continually changing.  As students grow and change, the instructional strategies and theories used also need to change.  It is my belief that a single learning theory cannot be solely used.  It is important to be able to select the learning theory that best fits each situation or need.  Also, I have become much more aware of the importance of technology in the classroom, regardless of the age level.  Technology is becoming a very important instructional tool, not just a learning tool.

Within my classroom, I want to find more opportunities to use technology as an instructional tool.  It is important to engage and involve students in the learning process.  By creating a student-centered classroom, students will take an active role in learning while a teacher acts more as a facilitator.  One piece of technology that has already made an impact in my classroom is interactive concept mapping using SpiderScribe.  Students are very excited to use this technology and it has helped immensely in providing learning connections as well as better organizing important information for longer retention.  I have also seen the benefit of using virtual field trips in the classroom.  Students need to be able to experience learning beyond looking at images and reading information.  Through virtual field trips, students are able to experience what it might be like to visit various destinations.

Overall, I feel that I have gained many new tools and strategies that will improve student learning and motivation.  I will continue to provide students with project-based learning opportunities.  Through these opportunities, students will be able to collaborate as they are developing their own understanding of a concept.  Technology will also play a role.  Whether students are creating an interactive concept map, completing a webquest or documenting their learning through a FlipCam, technology will be integral to learning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment