After establishing a GAME plan, it is important to select
resources that will be needed to carry out the plan successfully. In the course text, Technology Integration for Meaningful Classroom Use: A Standards-Based Approach, the authors
remind the teacher of the importance of setting goals for students and allowing
them to obtain the skills and knowledge necessary in order to be
successful. By preparing as a teacher,
we will be able to guide our students well.
My goals for my plan were to create a more student-centered
learning environment using technology as well as increasing my communication
with parents and students using technology and digital media. In order to achieve both of these goals, I
will need to continue my research on integrating technology. Within my classroom or school building, I
have access to laptops, a computer lab, Promethean Interactive Board, student
response system (ActiVotes), digital cameras and iPads. While accessing the technology won’t be
difficult, I will still need to look for ways to modify lessons in order to
integrate these pieces of technology. I will
also be looking for ways to collaborate with peers to share ideas on how they
integrate technology as well as working closely with our media specialist and
academic interventionist on how to best reach learners with technology.
For communicating with parents and students through digital
media, I will need to research available formats of communication. Currently, I am looking at either updating my
current website to include more interactive features or changing to a blog
format or possibly a Facebook page for my classroom that will allow parents and
students to interact with what is happening in the classroom as well as ease of
access. I will also be creating a
digital newsletter that will be sent via e-mail. As part of this goal, I will need to ensure
that parents and students are able to use the technology and digital
media. Therefore, it will be important
to develop help sheets for parents and to spend instructional time with
students.
Once these resources are implemented, I will need to monitor
and reflect on a continual basis. Especially
with the digital communication, I will need to be proactive and provide lots of
reminders and updates to capture my intended audience.
Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P.
(2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A
standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont,
CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.
Jocelyn, I love the idea of a digital newsletter. I think that puts a new spin on something that has become less common in our classrooms. We have gotten away from that line of communication that links directly to the parents and guardians of our students. Sending the newsletter via e-mail makes things easier for everyone because most parents and guardians get e-mail sent directly to their personal cell phones. This would allow for immediate response, as they would have access to the ongoings in the classroom right at their fingertips.
ReplyDeleteJocelyn,
ReplyDeleteI know that you mentioned creating a Facebook page for your class. Does your school district offer any guidance on the use of this media? I have heard that many school systems caution employees about what is posted via social media and in some cases, even discourage its use. I know of some teachers in other systems that have created pages and even some teachers are “friends” with their students. As all of my students are under age 13, I rarely even discuss the topic with them because I don’t want to encourage them to create pages. In fact, due to the possible consequences or implications, I do not “friend” anyone under the age of 18.
What are your thoughts on this idea? Have you considered how you would use this media? Would it be just for communications with the parents or would you allow students to join? Would it be a private group or one open to the public? Would you include photos of class events? If so, would you need a special type of permission slip or is this something that is already permissible in your district?
I know I have posed a lot of questions, but I am curious about which direction you might be taking. I wish you luck with whatever format you choose.