Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Mapping Learning Connections

As a learner, my network for learning has changed over time.  With modern advances in technology, it is much easier to access information or collaborate with others.  As a very young student, I recall learning how to used encyclopedias and card catalogs in libraries to find information.  Learning the Dewey Decimal system was part of my elementary library curriculum.  In this day in age, students spend very little to no time developing these skills.  Technological advances have made information available at one's fingertips.  This has greatly impacted the way I learn.  I am able to quickly navigate various sources to locate pertinent information.  Or, I have access to numerous colleagues and experts via digital media and social networks.

When it comes to digital tools, there are many that meet various needs.  Digital tools such as G-Suite (Google Apps for Education) allow me to collaborate with colleagues and students in real time.  I also have access at anytime.  Crowdsource websites such as Pinterest and Instagram are tools that I can use for personal benefit, such as learning how to replace a kitchen faucet to sharing innovative classroom lessons and ideas.  For educational purposes, the use of Google Classroom, TeacherTube and Discovery Education has been invaluable.  I am able to push out information to students and staff as well as have a resource to organize and store pertinent items.

I often turn to technology when it comes to gaining new knowledge.  While face-to-face discussions or support is preferred, I often push out questions via Twitter.  I interact digitally with numerous professionals using this social media platform and it has provided valuable information.  I also have learned how to efficiently complete an internet search for specific information.  I am also looking for recommendations for books or blogs that will support my life long learning.

The tenets of connectivism are present within my personal learning network.  Many of the resources I use for information overlap across multiple areas.  For example, I use Twitter and Blogs as learning resources for personal, professional  and graduate student reasons.  In fact, at times it can be difficult to determine  the use of a resource since they are used seamlessly for various purposes.  Through technological advances, it is easy to intertwine these resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment